Homicide Crime Charges
Murder Defense Attorney
including manslaughter, criminal vehicular homicide.
Thomas C Gallagher, Homicide Defense Attorney in Minneapolis, is a top-ranked Minneapolis Criminal Defense Lawyer (“AV Rating” from Martindale-Hubbell – top 7%; and, 10/10 “Superb” rating from avvo.com).
“Homicide” is not necessarily a crime.
Anytime a person’s death is caused by another person(s), there is a homicide.
Non-criminal homicides are common and include: accidental deaths, suicides, and deaths following lawful exercise of self-defense rights. These can also be uncovered in a murder defense case.
Type of criminal homicide charges
Criminal homicide is a homicide where a statute creates a criminal law remedy (prison). Homicide Attorney Gallagher represented clients in Minnesota criminal homicide cases including:
- Criminal Murder
- Felony Murder
- Criminal Vehicular Homicide
Criminal Homicide Legal Defenses include:
- Intent Defenses
- Self-Defense and Defense-of-Another
Murder Defense Lawyers must prepare the accused and his or her family and supporters to mount the best defense possible, since the consequences of a conviction are severe. Thomas Gallagher, as a murder lawyer, works to collect factual information, from police and from defense investigators; then analyzes the known facts of the case to decide the best available defense theory that fits the facts.
The government’s prosecuting attorneys will do the opposite – seek the most damning theory of guilt that selected, alleged facts in the case can possibly support.
The Search for the Truth
In criminal homicide cases, Defense Attorney Thomas Gallagher works relentlessly to uncover the truth; and defend the liberty and name of the People he represents.
One of the juries challenges in a trial is the search for the truth. But the jury can only consider evidence admitted into the trial by the judge. That’s why Gallagher works hard to keep out unfairly prejudicial evidence, and get in defense evidence of the truth.
Defending a person is a great responsibility – one that Gallagher takes seriously.
Murder Lawyers handle the most serious type of criminal case. As a result, we simply must have adequate resources to marshal the best legal defense.
Specific Criminal Homicide charges include:
Murder First Degree, Minnesota Statutes §609.185, generally:
- Life sentence if convicted.
- Premeditated murder with specific intent, or
- murder while committing certain, listed other crimes, or
- murder of on-duty police officer or prison guard with specific intent, or
- extreme indifference causing death of a minor where past pattern of child abuse, or
- extreme indifference causing death of another where past pattern of domestic abuse.
Murder Second Degree, Minnesota Statutes §609.19, generally:
- Murder with specific intent, or
- Drive-by shooting felony murder, or
- Felony murder (no specific intent), or
- Murder (no specific intent) of a person protected by a “no contact order,” “order for protection,” restraining order, etc.
Murder Third Degree, Minnesota Statutes §609.195, generally:
- Murder (general intent), or
- Murder via certain drugs.
Manslaughter First Degree, Minnesota Statutes §609.20, generally:
- causing death in the heat of passion following qualified provocation, or
- misdemeanor assault plus reasonably foreseeable death or great bodily harm, or
- causing death coerced by threats of imminent death by a non-co-conspirator, or
- causing death via certain drugs, or
- malicious punishment of a child plus death.
Manslaughter Second Degree, Minnesota Statutes §609.205, generally:
- death caused by culpable negligence plus specific intent of risk of death or great bodily harm, or
- death by shooting a gun or other weapon negligently believing the other was a deer or animal, or
- death by setting spring gun, pit fall, snare, trap, etc, or
- death by negligently or intentionally permitting dangerous animal to run uncontrolled off premises or unconfined, etc.
Criminal Vehicular Homicide and Injury, Minnesota Statutes §609.21, generally:
- Injury or Death of another, and:
- As a result of operating a motor vehicle with:
- Gross Negligence, or
- Simple Negligence plus DWI or Hit-and-Run.
Have a question about a criminal homicide case or investigation? The sooner you get help from a defense attorney the better. You can call homicide defense lawyer Thomas Gallagher at 612 333-1500.